Heart mitral valve disease (MVD) is a terminal illness which may afflict over half of all cavalier King Charles spaniels by the age of 5 years and nearly all Cavaliers by age 10 years. It is CKCSs' leading cause of death.
- More: Cavalier King Charles spaniel MVD
- Mitral valve disease breeding protocol
- A few words about pimobendan (Vetmedin)
- ACVIM cardiologists consensus statement
- Research news
- Find a cardiologist in the USA and Canada
- September 2017 -- OUR BLOG: Telemedicine is the answer, when no cardiologist is nearby.
- September 2017 -- OUR BLOG: Cardiac Education Group doubles down on prescribing Vetmedin (pimobendan) to dogs without enlarged hearts.
- September 2017 -- Widespread syringomyelia and craniocervical junction abnormalities are found in study of 53 Chihuahuas.
- August 2017 -- Dr. Martin Schmidt finds cerebral blood flow is reduced in CKCS with ventriculomegaly and may be a form of hydrocephalus.
- August 2017 -- Texas A&M's veterinary cardiology dept. needs young CKCSs for free echo study of healthy mitral valves.
- August 2017 -- University of Minnesota's Canine Genetics Laboratory offers a genetic test for CKCS xanthinuria.
- August 2017 -- French surgeons test an oral approach to installing tympanostomy tubes in cavaliers with PSOM.
- July 2017 -- Neurologist Dr. Coates of Univ. of Missouri needs DM-affected dogs for clinical trial.
- July 2017 -- Spironlactone study of MVD-affected dogs in Stage B2 proves nothing new.
- July 2017 -- Sildenafil (Viagra) beats out enalapril in improving heart rate variability in Stage B MVD-affected dogs.
- July 2017 -- Survey of 339 German cavaliers finds 97.1% with Chiari-like malformation and 48.1% with SM.
- July 2017 -- Cavaliers are found to have significantly flatter tympanic bullae than other brachycephalic breeds -- may explain PSOM.
- July 2017 -- Tufts researchers locate microRNA associated with heart failure in MVD-affected dogs, including cavaliers.
- July 2017: Fortekor Plus (benazepril and pimobendan) passes its marketer's sponsored efficacy test in Stage C MVD-affected dogs.
- July 2017 -- OUR BLOG: The Cardiac Education Group waters down the EPIC Trial recommendations.
- July 2017 -- Dr. Sonya Gordon recommends pimobendan for Stage B2 dogs even without echocardiograms.
- July 2017 -- OUR BLOG: ACVIM forum Consensus Statement further deteriorates the flawed EPIC Study report.
- June 2017-- ReGena-Vet Laboratories plans stem cell experiments on MVD-affected dogs.
- June 2017 -- German dermatologist successfully treats CM/SM-affected cavaliers for itching with oclacitinib (Apoquel).
- June 2017 -- Ohio State University needs cavaliers for clinical study of syringomyelia.
- June 2017 -- Cavalier breed ranked 4th in number of corneal ulcer cases at the UK primary care clinics in 2013.
- June 2017 -- OUR BLOG: ACKCSC's charitable trust falls for the impossible promised dream.
- June 2017 -- OFA statistics show that hip dysplasia is on a stunning rise in the cavalier King Charles spaniel breed.
- June 2017 -- OUR BLOG: Ten Frequently Asked Questions About Cavaliers and Mitral Valve Disease.
- June 2017 -- OUR BLOG: When should intact cavaliers have a preventative prostate ultrasound?
- June 2017 -- ACE-inhibitor ramipril fails to extend survival times of MVD-affected dogs when combined with pimobendan and diuretic.
- June 2017 -- Italian case study of two CKCSs infected with heartworm Angiostrongylus vasorum brings total to 12 published reports on cavaliers diagnosed with this parasite since 2004.
- June 2017 -- International team of neurologists find cavaliers' gaits may be affected by Chiari-like malformation.
- June 2017 -- Dr. Borgarelli reports successful replacement of mitral valve chords using the Harpoon TSD-5 device.
- June 2017 -- EPIC Study authors plan to announce "longitudinal analysis" of the participating dogs' data.
- June 2017 -- Virginia-Maryland veterinary college creates a database of MVD-affected dogs.
- May 2017 -- Dr. Borgarelli's ongoing mitral valve shape comparison study adds more data.
- May 2017 -- OUR BLOG: EPIC study’s bluster about pimobendan unravels as critical analysis finally takes hold.
- May 2017 -- Cardiologist Mark Rishniw says "Not so fast!" in prescribing pimobendan to all heart-enlarged MVD dogs.
- May 2017 -- Dr. David Williams finds pain from corneal ulceration causes increased tear production and may mask dry eye.
- May 2017 -- Cardiologist Philip Fox claims EPIC Study makes echocardiography optional in prescribing pimobendan before heart failure.
- May 2017 -- Columbian researchers find a variation of gene COL1A2 may play a role in causing MVD in canines.
- May 2017 -- Detroit hospital physicians find Neladenoson may reverse hind leg weakness in dogs in heart failure.
- May 2017 -- Mayo Clinic engineers a designer natriuretic peptide to mediate kidney impairment by furosemide.
- May 2017 -- Synthetic BNP injections potentially can offset RAAS activation in dogs in CHF.
- May 2017 -- Nationwide insurance reports cavaliers and other brachycephalic breeds are more often affected by common health conditions.
- April 2017 -- Texas A&M cardiologists fine tune cardiac troponin I measurements of MVD progression.
- April 2017 -- Cavaliers are over-represented in UK survey of over-weight, less exercised dogs.
- April 2017 -- UK Kennel Club spokesman trashes the MVD Breeding Protocol.
- April 2017 -- Analysis of UK cavalier breeders' compliance with the MVD Breeding Protocol shows breeders' hypocrisy.
- April 2017 -- Inventors seek US patent for chronic pancreatitis drug camostat mesilate.
- April 2017 -- U. of Ga. pathologists find T-zone lymphoma in a cavalier King Charles spaniel.
- April 2017 -- CKCS with histiocytic sarcoma of his spleen has deceptive signs and pathology.
- April 2017 -- Brazilian researchers find a quality of life questionnaire can accurately predict approaching cardiac deaths of dogs.
- March 2017 -- Cummings School (Tufts) researchers need DM-affected dogs for an engineered adenovirus study.
- March 2017 -- Lung ultrasound exams can accurately diagnose early signs of pulmonary edema and may predict onset of congestive heart failure.
- March 2017 -- Slovenian researchers report correlations between NT-proBNP and CoQ10 concentrations in dogs receiving cardiac treatment.
- March 2017 -- Korean researchers find that serum homocysteine concentrations increase as MVD progresses in dogs.
- March 2017 -- Italian researchers find 70% raw beef diet bests dry kibble in producing healthy gut functions.
- March 2017 -- NEW TOPIC: Plants -- toxic, poisonous -- including the sago palm.
- March 2017 -- Thai researchers find long-term treatment of Stage B dogs with sildenafil (Viagra) prevented progression of MVD.
- March 2017 -- Japan's Masami Uechi reports 92% success rate in 600+ open heart surgeries for MVD.
- March 2017 -- OUR BLOG: Will general practice veterinarians cut corners to prematurely prescribe pimobendan to MVD-affected cavaliers?
- March 2017 -- Tricuspid valve replacement with cow or pig valves has significant complications.
- March 2017 -- 3-D echocardiograms show differences in shapes of mitral valves of MVD-affected dogs versus healthy dogs.
- February 2017 -- USA researchers find promising CSF biomaker for early diagnosis of degenerative myelopathy.
- February 2017 -- Austrian heart clinic offers mitral valve repair surgery on MVD-affected dogs in heart failure.
- February 2017 -- Serum proteins are found to be differentially expressed in cavaliers with MVD.
- February 2017 -- OUR BLOG: Does detecting heart failure in MVD-affected cavaliers matter anymore?
- February 2017 -- Japanese researchers find left atrium strain can predict heart failure in MVD-affected dogs.
Veterinary specialists have designed breeding guidelines to eliminate early-onset mitral valve disease in cavalier King Charles spaniels.
Rescue a Cavalier!
Over 100 Clinics Listed!
Syringomyelia (SM) is reported to be "very widespread" in the cavalier King Charles spaniel breed. Syringomyelia is a disorder of the brain and spinal cord, which may cause severe head and neck pain and possible paralysis.
- More: CKCS syringomyelia
- SM breeding protocol
- Research news
- Reduced rate MRI clinic locations
- MRI screening protocol for SM
- Find a neurologist in the USA and Canada
- Use harnesses instead of leashes for CM/SM dogs
- Estimated Breeding Values (EBVs)
- "Pedigree Dogs Exposed"
- "Pedigree Dogs Exposed - Three Years On"
Hip dysplasia reportedly afflicts up to one out of every four cavalier King Charles spaniels. It is a genetic disease which can cause the dogs pain and debilitation.
Low blood platelet counts in cavaliers usually are not a health problem. Many veterinarians are misled by low platelet counts to wrongly diagnose anemia or other serious disorders.
The size and shape of its head can cause serious breathing problems for the cavalier King Charles spaniel. Elongated soft palates, stenotic nares, everted laryngeal saccules, and laryngeal collapse are inherited developmental defects in the breed.
Cavalier King Charles spaniels appear predisposed to develop cerebellar infarcts, or strokes.
Cavaliers are predisposed to a form of congenital deafness, which is present at birth, and also to a progressive hereditary hearing loss, which usually begins during puppyhood and worsens, or progresses, until the dog is completely deaf, usually between the ages of three and five years.
CHECK OUT THESE ITEMS
- How to Find a Cavalier Breeder in U.S.
- 10 Questions for Cavalier Breeders
- TOP TEN: Breeders Worst Excuses
- Genetic Eye Disorders in CKCS
- SM Healthful Breeding Protocol
- Progressive Deafness in Cavaliers
- Cerebellar Infarcts -- Brain Strokes
- Diabetes Requires Daily Treatment
- Masticatory Muscle Myositis (MMM)
- Fly Catchers: Biting Imaginary Flies
- Cavalier's Knees -- Patellar Luxation
- Cavaliers' Sudden Collapsing Explained
- Dry Eye Syndrome Means Constant Care